Sunday 23 February 2014

Review: The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

13330943Title: The Night Circus
Author: Erin Morgenstern
Publisher: Anchor
Pages: 512
Release Date: July 3rd 2012 (September 13th 2011)
Series: -
Where I Got It: My sister

Synopsis: NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER 
The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called Le Cirque des Rêves, and it is only open at night. 

But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway: a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood expressly for this purpose by their mercurial instructors. Unbeknownst to them both, this is a game in which only one can be left standing. Despite the high stakes, Celia and Marco soon tumble headfirst into love, setting off a domino effect of dangerous consequences, and leaving the lives of everyone, from the performers to the patrons, hanging in the balance.




Erin Morgenstern
Erin MorgensternErin Morgenstern is a writer and a multimedia artist, who describes all her work as "fairy tales in one way or another." She grew up in Marshfield, Massachusetts. She currently lives in Boston, Massachusetts with two very fluffy cats.









Review

I read this book on February 23rd 2014.


This book is a book that a reader will either love. Or hate. Unfortunately, I was one of the reader's that didn't like it. I'm not saying everyone will, but I personally did not.

If I'm being completely honest, this book is lacking quite a few things. For starters, there is a large amount of imagery in this book. So much so that it took over the plot of the book, or lack thereof. I would have much rather preferred this book not have so many stories going on at once. There was, it seemed, almost 6 different stories going on at once. My favourite story was Bailey's story, and my favourite character was the twins. They seemed to be funny and Widget made me laugh out loud, he was one of the few things I actually enjoyed in this book.

I felt this book was dragged on for far to long and could have easily been made into a book with less than 500 pages. I felt if you got rid of so much of the imagery, it could have been about 250 pages.

The Night Circus disappointed me in many ways. I'd heard amazing things about this book and expected more, but instead just wanted it to be over with. The only thing worse than putting the book down was the torture I had to go through reading it when I picked it back up. The story was just dragged on and got so out of hand in the end. And I felt some of the things done in this book and said happened to early.

Some of the things I did like in this book was the tricks some of the magician's did. It was cool to see Celia grow up. Although, I did not like the end, the love story was entertaining, but not enough for my taste. It seemed as if the love between Celia and Marco was happening because they were bound to each other. Also, it seemed some of the many stories in this lengthy book weren't all satisfactory in the end. I was slightly disappointed with the ending of The Night Circus, but was also happy to see more of Widget.

Again, there are some people out there that will adore this book and buy it in all it's additions. Then there's the people who didn't like it as much as the others. They are the one's the adorers are buying these copies from.

Ages: 16+
Grade: 10 and up

No comments:

Post a Comment